Monday, August 8, 2011

Live Free

You may be asking, what does eleutheria mean?  It's Greek for "freedom."  According to www.blueletterbible.org, there are several definitions for this word, but the one that resonates with me most if this: true liberty is living as we should not as we please.

One of my favorite verses is Galatians 5:1, which reflects the definition of eleutheria.  It says, "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery."  


Christ has set me free; He has liberated me.  Jesus Christ satisfied the demands of the law, so I can live free.  Yet, so often I find myself putting on the yoke of good deeds, performance, and "righteous" living.  Chained to my sin nature, I work overtime to meet the demands of the law I've put on myself.  All the while, Jesus is softly nudging me, "I've set you free, my child.  Live that way." 


So, each day I wake up and make a decision: will I live this way?  will I live in the freedom that cost Christ His life?  will I live as I should, not as I please?  will I yoke myself to Christ?


I have experienced eleutheria, but I want more of it. 


  

1 comment:

  1. Bravo! I love this question, "Will I live free?" Bravo!

    ReplyDelete